What is the Pupil Premium?
Pupil Premium funding benefits not only Pupil Premium children but the whole school community through access to school trips, visitors and other enrichment activities. From a school's funding perspective, it is important that parents apply for Pupil Premium funding if they fit the eligibility criteria for the benefit of not only their own child but all children at Ludwell.
The Government considers Pupil Premium to be a key element of their education policy. Introduced in April 2011, the Pupil Premium provides additional funding to schools to target specific groups of children who are vulnerable to underachievement. These include pupils from low income families; children in care and the children of armed service personnel.
For this academic year:
- £1,345 has been allocated to schools for any pupil who has been registered for Free School Meals in the last six years along with looked-after children who have been in continuous care for more than six months.
- £300 Service Child Premium per pupil has been allocated to children with parents in the armed services in recognition for the particular challenges that they face
- £2345 per child for Looked After Children or Previously Looked After Children
How is the Pupil Premium used at Ludwell Primary School?
The Government has given schools discretion in how to best use the funding to meet the needs of their children.
Ludwell is able to provide the following for children as a result of receiving Pupil Premium funding:
- reducing class sizes thus improving opportunities for effective Assessment for Learning and accelerating progress
- providing small group work with an experienced teacher focussed on overcoming gaps in learning
- 1 to 1 support
- additional teaching and learning opportunities provided through learning mentors, trained TAs or external agencies.
- music enrichment activities
- extracurricular clubs such as dance club, LEGO club and sports clubs
- Breakfast Club & After School Club
- School visits, residential trips and school visitors
Please read the information below which gives details of our Pupil Premium Grant and how we allocate the funding.